Welcome back to the Cropstop blog! Today we have a beautiful card from our Guest Designer: Verna Angerhofer of VA’s Creative Clutter. Verna not only created a lovely card, but she’s sharing a fun tutorial for creating that faux woodgrain look.
Verna says: ” I wanted to make a more rustic looking type of card and so I decided to make a faux woodgrain look for a background. I used a 4 ¼ x 5 ½ sheet of white layering weight card stock and with my Scor Pal I added lines to it.
After the score lines were added I then took Tim Holtz Distress Inks and swiped the pad all the way down the panel using various shades to create a wood grain look.
I die cut that panel with Cottage Cutz Double Stitched Rectangle Dies as I wanted it smaller for my card.
Once that was done I set it aside and then stamped my flowers with the help of my MISTI tool. Sometimes with the arthritis in my hands I can’t quite get a good impression but with that tool I can repeat it often until I am satisfied.
Once that was done I set it aside and then stamped my flowers (Stamplorations Trendy Spring Blooms Stamp Set and Dies by Shery Russ) with the help of my MISTI tool. Sometimes with the arthritis in my hands I can’t quite get a good impression but with that tool I can repeat it often until I am satisfied. With the stamp set there is also some outline images to go with the basic floral designs and I chose to stamp them in black ink and again using the MISTI. Now that my flowers were all stamped I proceeded to die cut them out using the dies that came with the stamp set. I find that using some Washi tape to hold the dies in place helps me keep them in the proper alignment.
Now I was ready to assemble my card. I first added the wood grain panel to the white A2 size card base. Then I arranged the flowers the way I liked them and fastened them with some Zots Clear Adhesive Dots. I only used three of the flowers and one of the sentiments on the set. The leaves were added by using a Zig 2-Way Glue Squeeze & Roll Pen as I did not want them popped like the flowers were. The sentiment was stamped with Versafine Onyx Black ink and then die cut with one of the dies from the same double stitched rectangle die set. However, I wanted a thin border to frame the saying better, so what I did was die cut a black die the same size but the white one with the sentiment on it I simply fussy cut along the stitched line so that when they were placed together I had a nice border.